COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, MAY 22, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Chairman Kranz.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 6-9) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 14 thru 29) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. DISTRICT ATTORNEY (PDF) – Presentation of the 2006 Citizen's Recognition Awards, followed by a reception in Conference Room A.
2. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Granite Bay Parks, Trails & Open Space Assessment District (PDF) – Public hearing to consider adoption of a resolution approving the Engineer’s Report, confirming diagram and assessment and ordering levy of assessment for FY 2007/08.
b. Fee Reduction in Garbage Collection Franchise Areas 1 & 4 (Western Placer County) (PDF) – Introduction of an ordinance, amending Chapter 8, Section 8.16.470, reducing the Franchise Fee from 10% to 8%.
1. Public hearing to receive comments concerning the proposed increases in sewer and water Maintenance and Operations (M&O) Fees.
2. Adopt an ordinance adjusting M&O fees enumerated in County Code, Section 13.12.350.
3. Adopt a resolution confirming the County Service Area Zone Report of charges for the Sunset 2A3, Sheridan 6 Water & Sewer, Blue Canyon 23, Applegate 24, Livoti 55 and Dry Creek 173, County Service Areas.
4. Make a finding pursuant to Section 21080(b)(8) of the Public Resource Code, that the higher fees are derived directly from the cost of providing service and are necessary to meet operating expenses required for maintenance of service, and therefore exempt from environmental review.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND
CONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY HOUSING AUTHORITY
4. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/PUBLIC HOUSING AUTHORITY PLAN (PDF) – Compliance with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Public Housing Authority Plan requirement is necessary to continue to receive approximately $1,640,619 in FY 2007 Federal funding for the Placer County, Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, which provides subsidized housing for over 200 families, by:
a. Conducting a public hearing regarding the Placer County Housing Authority Streamlined Annual Public Housing Authority Plan for FY 2007 and receive public comment.
b. Adopting a resolution authorizing submission of Placer County’s Annual Public Housing Authority Plan for FY 2007 and certification of program compliance.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY HOUSING AUTHORITY AND
RECONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
5. PUBLIC WORKS/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/NORTHSTAR HIGHLANDS:
a. Public Works/Permanent Road Division (PRD) #7 (PDF) – Public hearing to consider all protests, tabulate ballots and consider adoption of a resolution creating a PRD and setting charges to provide road maintenance, storm drains, gates, guardrails, tunnels, bridges and snow removal services.
b. Public Works/County Service Area 28, Zone 197 (Water Quality Monitoring) (PDF) – Public hearing to consider all protests, tabulate ballots and consider adoption of a resolution creating Zone 197 and setting charges to monitor surface and groundwater quality in the Martis Valley watershed, at $240 per dwelling unit equivalent.
c. Public Works/County Service Area 28, Zone 204 (Transit Services) (PDF) – Public hearing to consider all protests, tabulate ballots and consider adoption of a resolution creating Zone 204 and setting charges to operate transit service in Martis Valley, at $30.76 per dwelling unit equivalent.
d. Community Development Resource Agency/Northstar Highlands Phase 2, Tract 961 (PDF) – Approve the final map, subdivision improvement agreements and authorize recording of the project. The project is located approximately five miles northwest of North Shore Lake Tahoe and three miles southwest of Highway 267 in Northstar at Tahoe ski area.
LUNCH – With Roseville Rotary Club at Sierra View Country Club, 105 Alta Vista Avenue, Roseville.
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
6. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT:
a. Blanket Purchase Order #13819, Bulk Unleaded & Diesel Fuel/Public Works (PDF) – Renew as a result of Competitive Bid #9576 with Hunt & Sons, Inc., in the maximum amount of $1,750,000.
b. Competitive Bid #9679, Construction of Lime Stabilization, Public Works (PDF) - Award to Durham Stabilization, Inc., in the amount of $443,470.50, for the project located at Sunset Boulevard West and East Catlett Road.
c. Sole Source Blanket Purchase Order #13885, Maintenance Support & Software Upgrade/Information Technology (PDF) – Renew with Megabyte Systems for maintenance support agreement, in the amount of $229,238.60, and software upgrade services, in the amount of $99,000, for the Property Tax System shared by the Auditor, Assessor and Tax Collector and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign resulting blanket purchase order.
1. Approve a contribution from Placer County to the Trust for Public Land and the Tahoe Donner Land Trust for purchase of Waddle Ranch, located in Martis Valley, in the amount of $10,000,000, with a minimum of $5,280,981 to be provided by close of escrow in October of 2007;
2. Approve a resolution designating that open space fees collected in the Martis Valley will be dedicated to fund the remaining balance of the $10,000,000 contribution, until the full contribution of $10,000,000 is met; and,
3. Authorize staff to negotiate agreement with the Trust for Public Land and the Tahoe Donner Land Trust to finalize the transaction.
8. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Community Development Resource Center, Project #4630 (PDF) – Resolution approving the project and authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute and record the Notice of Completion and ratifying Contract Change Order #15, in the amount of $370,792.
Approve the following actions associated with the installation of thermal energy storage ice tanks at the Finance Building, located at the Placer County Government Center in north Auburn:
1. Approve plans and specifications and authorize staff to solicit bids for the project.
2. Approve a resolution authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute the resulting construction contract, in an amount not-to-exceed $350,000, upon review by County Counsel and Risk Management, and providing authority to approve any required change orders consistent with the County Purchasing Manual.
3. Approve a budget revision cancelling $400,000 from Infrastructure Reserves and increasing appropriations to the project account in the Capital Projects Fund.
a. Authorize the Chairman to sign the Health & Human Services budget revisions, which total $3,032,950 in revenues and $3,032,950 in expenditures, and including $500,000 expenditure offset of one-time funding from the Designation for Future Occurrences.
b. Approve the purchase of fixed asset equipment (Culposcope) for medical procedures for the Community Clinics, in the amount of $9,000, and add it to the Master Fixed Asset List.
c. Approve the Housing Assistance (Fund 103, Appropriation 53010), budget revision reflecting cancellation of reserves and an increase in expenditures, in the amount of $20,000.
10. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Children’s System of Care (PDF) - Approve amendment to Contract #CN012255 with Whole Person Learning, adding Transitional Housing Program-Plus Services to the existing scope, to provide affordable housing and supportive services to former foster youth ages 18 to 24 to prevent homelessness and to increase the chances of successful transition to adulthood, and increasing compensation by $188,871, from $230,000 to $418,871, for FY 2006/07. No County General Fund contribution is required.
b. Human Services (PDF) - Approve the following actions regarding contracts with Placer County Office of Education for Child Care Services for clients participating in work and training activities:
1. Approve an amendment to FY 2006/07 Contract #CN012227, increasing funding by $400,000, for a new revised total not to exceed $2,300,000;
2. Approve a contract for FY 2007/08, in an amount not to exceed $2,500,000; and,
3. Authorize the Chairman to sign the resulting documents and subsequent amendments.
11. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Kings Beach Watershed Improvement Project (PDF) – Resolution authorizing the Chairman to approve Professional Services Agreement #1011 with Entrix, Inc., in the amount of $532,772, to provide environmental documentation and preliminary design to support the conceptual water quality improvements identified in the preferred water quality alternative, and authorizing the Public Works Director to approve and sign future amendments up to $54,000, upon County Counsel review and approval of the bonds and insurance.
b. Patching & Paving Various Roads, Summer 2007 (PDF) – Resolution awarding Construction Contract #1005 to Central Valley Engineering and Asphalt Inc., in the amount of $649,337 plus a contingency of 5%; authorize the Chairman to execute the contract; and authorize the Public Works Director to approve contract change orders up to 5% of the total contract amount, upon County Counsel review of the bonds and insurance.
c. Slurry Seal, Summer 2007 (PDF) – Resolution awarding Construction Contract #1008 to Intermountain Slurry Seal, Inc., in the amount of $634,040, plus 5% contingency; authorize the Chairman to execute the contract; and authorize the Public Works Director to approve contract change orders up to 5% of the total contract amount, upon County Counsel review of the bonds and insurance.
12. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) - Direct staff to remove delinquent Dry Creek-West Placer Community Facilities District special assessments from 2005/06 property tax role and commence foreclosure proceedings on parcels that have not paid delinquent special assessment by June 30, 2007. The delinquent parcels are 029-190-006-000, 029-140-006-000, 029-240-018-000 and 029-380-005-000. The property owners have up to the day of foreclosure sale to redeem a delinquent parcel, including special assessments and other fees and costs.
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation
(a) Paul Carpenter vs. Placer County, et al., Placer Superior Court Case No. SCV-20943.
(b) Thomas Kitchen vs. Joanne Hendricks, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Court Case No.: 2:06-cv-06449 GEB CMK.
(c) Steven R. Suer, et. al. vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-17945.
(d) Patricia Penny James, WCAB Claim, Claim Number: SAC Unassigned.
(2) Anticipated Litigation: Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Government Code §54956.9: one potential case.
(B) §54956.8 – CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR
(a) Property: Portion of APN 017-123-066
Negotiation Parties: County of Placer and JB Management LP.
Under negotiation: Price, terms of payment and conditions of the purchase and sale.
(C) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 6-9) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 14 thru 29 have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
14. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. County Executive (PDF) – Ordinance, amending Chapter 4, Article 4.16, of the Uniform Transient Occupancy Tax Code, as recommended in an audit performed by the Internal Audits Division of the Auditor-Controller’s Office.
b. Public Works (PDF) – Ordinance, amending Chapter 15, Article 15.28, Section 15.28.030, revising language to exhibits for the Traffic Mitigation Fee Program.
15. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Resolution in support of the “Reno Tahoe Odyssey Relay Run Adventure (PDF) ” to be held on June 29th and 30th, 2007 around Lake Tahoe, passing through Placer County on June 29th.
16. CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES (PDF) - Approve a budget revision, in the amount of $132,600, reflecting an increase in revenue from the Air Pollution Control District grant award, in the amount of $5,300, for the purchase of a hybrid vehicle, an increase in State allocated funds, in the amount of $20,000, and an increase in revenue of $41,000, from funds received for final payment of the Department of Justice contract for attorney services. Authorize the Department of Child Support Services to purchase two new vehicles; amend the Master Fixed Asset List to reflect these acquisitions; and authorize the Procurement Manager to solicit bids and sign purchase orders for the vehicles from available local dealer lot inventory.
17. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY (PDF) – Reject the following claim, as recommended by Counsel:
a. 07-034, Koral, Angelika, $4,183.99 (Property Damage).
18. CLERK RECORDER/ELECTIONS (PDF) – Resolution appointing in lieu of election the individuals who completed the district director candidate filing process for the Auburn Valley Community Services District and the Donner Summit Public Utilities District.
19. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Area 4 Agency on Aging Advisory Council (PDF) – Accept the resignation of Ester Hogans, Seat 7 and approve appointment of Helen Tierney Bale to Seat 7 (Board of Supervisors), as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
b. Placer Sierra Fire Safe Council (PDF) – Approve appointment of Tyrone Gorre to Seat 2, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
c. West Placer Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) – Approve posting vacancy of Seat #4.
20. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Building (PDF) - Approve an increase in the dollar amounts of the blanket purchase orders for Building plan check services and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting purchase orders, in the amounts of $126,453.42, (a $50,000 increase) for Coastland Civil Engineering, Inc; $58,000, (a $20,000 increase) for Bureau Veritas; and $99,000, (a $40,000 increase) for Willdan.
b. Planning (PDF) - Approve third contract amendment with Adrienne Graham, in the amount of $30,000, to provide planning services at the developer’s cost for the Placer Vineyards project and authorize the County Executive to execute.
c. Planning/Appeal of a Variance, Dietrich (PVAA20060640) (PDF) - Adopt the final findings in support of the action to deny the third-party appeal and approve the variance application for the Dietrich residence, located on Old Auburn Road in the Roseville area.
d. Planning/Withdrawal of Appeal, Villas at Harborside (PDF) Conditional Use Permit & Variance (PCPC 2005 0680)/Mitigated Negative Declaration/Subdivision Map Modification (PEAQ 2005 0136) – Consider acceptance of request from appellant Jane Echlin to withdraw her appeal.
a. Approve contract with Kleinfelder West Inc., in the amount of $50,000, as a result of Request for Qualifications #9551, for construction management services to be performed in Western Placer County, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign and to transfer funds between the agreement and contracts previously approved on May 8, 2007.
b. Approve contract with Kleinfelder West Inc., in the amount of $25,000, as the result of Request for Qualifications #9420, for geotechnical and materials testing to be performed in Western Placer County, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign and to transfer funds between the agreement and contracts previously approved on May 8, 2007.
22. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/ADMINISTRATION:
a. Introduction of an ordinance, amending Chapter 3, Section 3.08.070, 3.12.010, Appendix 1, and 3.12.030, (PDF) to provide additional compensation steps for the unclassified job classifications of Agricultural Inspector Aide, Library Page and Student Legal Assistant.
b. Approve a 5% merit increase for Richard Buckman (PDF), Veterans Service Officer, from Grade 600, Step 2 to Step 3, at $32.86 per hour, retroactive to May 12, 2007.
c. Approve a 5% merit increase for Allison Carlos (PDF), Principal Management Analyst, from Grade 454, Step 4 to Step 5, at $49.82 per hour, retroactive to August 19, 2006.
d. Approve a 5% merit increase for Holly Heinzen (PDF), Assistant County Executive Officer, from Grade 486, Step 4 to Step 5, at $68.51 per hour, retroactive to January 20, 2007.
23. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Lease Agreement (PDF) – Amend agreement with Grey Properties, LLC, in the amount of $2,001 per month, for the Lincoln Court Facility, located at 451-453 G Street in Lincoln.
b. Foresthill Leroy E. Botts Memorial Park Tot Lot, Project #9687 (PDF) – Approve plans and specifications, authorize staff to solicit bids and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute a purchase order, in an amount not to exceed $100,000, using the California Multiple Award Schedule System.
24. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Administrative Services (PDF) - Approve agreement with the California State Association of Counties, fiscal agent for the Welfare Case Data Systems consortium, for System Management Services, in the amount of $32,250, for FY 2007/08, and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign. Welfare Case Data Systems is a consortium of 18 California counties that utilize the same welfare eligibility verification computer system. Its administrative management staff act as the liaison between these counties, the State and EDS Corporation, the vendor responsible for this computer system, submits annual budget requests to the State to provide funding to support and update this system, and allocates the resulting funding for claiming by each participating county. There may be a County General Fund cost of up to $8,575 associated with the agreement.
b. Adult System of Care (PDF) - Approve the Older Adult Advisory Commission 2006 Annual Report.
c. Adult System of Care (PDF) - Approve Request for Relief from Accountability, in the amount of $2,912, and restore the Cirby Hills change fund, reducing the amount from $75 to $40, an amount adequate for the needs of the program.
d. Children’s System of Care (PDF) - Approve contract with F. M. Blake, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $160,000, to obtain Social Security Benefit Services for qualified, eligible foster children from June 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008, and authorize the Health & Human Services Director to sign the agreement and subsequent amendments.
25. PERSONNEL (PDF) - Authorize the Purchasing Manger to sign a Cafeteria Plan Contract, consistent with the Board approved labor agreement, with the vendor selected via Request for Proposals #9681.
26. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Sole-Source Blanket Purchase Order, Annual Software License Fees, Support & Related Services/Revenue Services (PDF) - Award to Columbia Ultimate Business Systems, in the amount of $200,000 for management of collection operations.
b. Blanket Purchase Order #13936, Aviation Maintenance & Inspection Services/Sheriff (PDF) – Award as a result of Competitive Bid #9448 to San Joaquin Helicopters, in the maximum amount of $72,000.
c. Competitive Bid #9674, 60-Month Lease of High-Volume Copier/Central Services (PDF) - Award to Toshiba Business Solutions, in the maximum amount of $76,000.
d. Competitive Request for Qualifications #9643, Professional Consulting Services/Public Works (PDF) -Award and adopt four lists of qualified firms for projects located in Eastern Placer County.
27. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Agreement (PDF) - Resolution authorizing the Public Works Director to sign an agreement with Sierra and Douglas, LLC, in the amount of $31,900, for extra work performed on Sierra College Boulevard, subject to County Counsel approval.
b. Tahoe Park Heights Drive Culvert Repair, Contract #73240 (PDF) – Resolution accepting the project as complete, at a cost of $162,748.88, and authorizing the Public Works Director to execute the Notice of Completion.
28. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) to the California Capital Aquatics Swimming Program, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
b. Approve appropriation of $1,250 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) to the Lighthouse Counseling and Family Resource Center, Celebrity Waiter Luncheon Fundraiser, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($500), Supervisor Weygandt ($500) and Supervisor Uhler ($250).
c. Approve appropriation of $400 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) to the Northern California, Torch Run for Special Olympics, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($150), Supervisor Holmes ($100) and Supervisor Uhler ($150).
d. Approve appropriation of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) to the Placer Nature Center, as requested by Supervisor Uhler and Supervisor Rockholm ($250 each).
e. Approve appropriation of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies (PDF) to the Boys and Girls Club of Auburn, as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
29. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) - Resolution for discharge of accountability for unsecured taxes for the assessment years 1996 through 2001.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
30. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) – Treasurer’s Statement for the month of April 2007.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
June 12 2007
June 26, 2007
July 10, 2007
July 16, 2007 (Monday)
July 23, 2007 (Tahoe)
July 24, 2007 (Tahoe)