COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2010
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2, Vice Chairman Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3 Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4, Chairman Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
Jennifer Montgomery, District 5
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the Board after distribution of the agenda packet are available for public inspection at the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors Office, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, during normal business hours. Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Thomas Miller, County Executive.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4 -7) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 13 thru 26) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion.
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
1. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS (PDF) – Presentation of a Proclamation declaring October as “National Arts & Humanities Month” and Friday, October 1, 2010, as “Placer Arts 360 Day” throughout Placer County.
2. DISTRICT ATTORNEY (PDF) – Presentation of the Prosecutor of the Year Award to the 2009 recipients, David Tellman and Doug Van Breemen.
3. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY (PDF)/ENGINEERING & SURVEYING/PLAN CHECK AND INSPECTION FEE SPREADSHEET/INFLATIONARY INCREASE - Public hearing to consider adoption of a Resolution to adjust the Plan Check and Inspection Fee Spreadsheet to reflect an inflationary increase of 1.6%, to become effective November 1, 2010. (Continued from 7-13-2010)
4. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY (PDF)/PLANNING/THIRD-PARTY APPEAL PLANNING COMMISSION APPROVAL OF: CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT (PCPA20080157) MINOR USE PERMIT (PMPC20100058) AND CERTIFICATION OF A FINAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT REPORT (PEIR20080235) “BOHEMIA RETAIL PROJECT” – Public hearing to consider a third-party appeal from Tal C. Finney, on behalf of Alliance for the Protection of the Auburn Community Environment (APACE), of the Planning Commission’s approval of a Conditional Use Permit and a Minor Use Permit for the Bohemia Retail Project. It is staff’s recommendation that the Board uphold the decision of the Planning Commission and deny the appeal.
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
5. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY (PDF)/PLANNING/Placer County Interests in Water Supply from the Yuba-Bear and Drum-Spaulding project facilities - Authorize the Board Chairman to sign a Letter of Interest by Placer County to the Directors of the Yuba-Bear and Drum Spaulding Project Managers for their relicensing process.
6. ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES/PROCUREMENT – Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Order, Radiology Services/Health & Human Services (PDF) - Renew a Negotiated Blanket Purchase Order with Radiological Associates of Sacramento, in the maximum amount of $280,000.
b. Bid #9985, Road Maintenance/Public Works/Fleet/Road Maintenance (PDF) - Award Competitive Bid to Sacramento Truck Center for Two 3,100 Gallon Water Trucks, in the total amount of 262,279.29.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY (PDF) - Staff recommends the Board take the following actions:
1. Introduction of an ordinance amending County Code, Chapters 2, and 15 through 18, and authorize the County Executive Officer and County Counsel to prepare an ordinance summary for publishing.
2. Introduction of an uncodified ordinance which does the following:
· Moves the Environmental Coordinator classification from the unclassified to the classified service and establish the position salary at grade 246 ($6,756 to $8,213 monthly).
· Amend the Chief Building Official classification specification and establish the position salary at grade 465 ($8,958 to $10,889 monthly).
· Establishes the position of Assistant Director of the Community Development/Resource Agency with salary at grade 477 (10,095 to $12,269 monthly), and placement in the unclassified service.
· Approves the allocation of one new position for the Assistant Director of the Community Development/Resource Agency to the Agency Administration to support the mission of the Agency.
· Deletes the Planning Director allocation in Planning.
3. Approve the revised classification specifications for the Community Development / Resource Agency Director, the Chief Building Official, the Environmental Coordinator, and the new classification specification for Assistant Director of the Community Development/Resource Agency.
4. Approve a budget revision transferring funding for a Deputy Director-Planning to Assistant Director of the Community Development / Resource Agency.
8. COUNTY EXECUTIVE:
a. FY 2010-11 Final Budget (PDF) - Approve the resolution adopting the FY 2010-11 Placer County Final Budget in the amount of $757,654,244; and
1. Approve final budgets for County proprietary funds for a total of $73,044,321; and
2. Approve the County Master Fixed Asset List for FY 2010-11; and
3. Introduction of an ordinance amending the personnel allocations of various departments to reflect position changes approved for the FY 2010-11 Final Budget;
4. Approve the resolution adopting final budgets of special districts governed by the Board of Supervisors in the amount of $43,814,857.
b. Organizational Changes (PDF) – Approve proposed organizational changes to the Board of Supervisors and the County Executive Offices, in concept, and direct staff to return with necessary formal actions including appropriate ordinances, revised job specifications and associated documents necessary to implement directed revisions.
9. FACILITY SERVICES/SOUTH PLACER ADULT CORRECTIONAL FACILITY (PDF)/CONTRACT CHANGE ORDER/FOOD SERVICE EQUIPMENT, PROJECT #4764 - It is recommended that the Board approve and authorize the Chairman to execute Contract Change Order (CC0) #20 for Food Service Equipment, for the South Placer Adult Correctional Facility (SPACF), in the amount of $1,793,000 and approve the Budget Revision shifting $1,793,000 in appropriations from the Burton Creek Justice Center project to the SPACF project in the Capital Projects Fund.
10. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/COMMUNITY HEALTH/CLINICS (PDF) - Approve a contract with the California Department of Public Health for operation of the Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC) in Placer County from July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011 in the maximum amount of $1,327,750, and authorize the Director of Health & Human Services to sign the contract and any subsequent amendments. No County General Fund match is required. This revenue is included in the Department’s FY 2010-11 Final Budget.
11. PUBLIC WORKS/KINGS BEACH COMMERCIAL CORE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT (PDF) – Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Chairman to sign and approve a Professional Services Agreement with Dokken Engineering in the amount of $4,642,339.79 for the Kings Beach Commercial Core Improvement Project for design, permitting, and public outreach and authorize the Director of Public Works to approve and sign future amendments up to $232,000.
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
1. Existing Litigation:
(a) John Connor, vs. Derek Reich Cash, et al., Placer County Superior Court Case No. SCV-24345
(b) Brigit Barnes, et al. v. County of Placer, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Case No.: 2:07-cv-01678-LEW-JFM
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATORS
(a) Agency designated representatives: Tom Miller, Nancy Nittler, Therese Leonard, Gerald O. Carden, Anthony J. La Bouff
Employee organization: DSA.
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 4-7) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 13 thru 26) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion
13. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Personnel/Civil Service Commission (PDF) – Adopt an Uncodified Ordinance to approve an amendment to the Classified Service – Schedule of Classifications, Salary Plan and Grade ordinance to reflect the public safety dispatcher title changes approved by Civil Service Commission at their regular meeting held August 9, 2010.
b. Sheriff - Adopt an Ordinance updating Chapter 3 (PDF), Section 3.12.030 to include the compensation differential for the Forensic Pathology specialization. This update reflects the differential previously approved by the Board for the forensic pathology contract and is to comply with the CalPERS Regulations. There is no fiscal impact.
a. Approve Resolution (PDF) setting the appropriation limit for Placer County Operating Funds for 2010-2011 at $850,014,820.
b. Approve Resolution (PDF) setting the appropriation limit for Placer County Special Districts governed by the Board of Supervisors for 2010-2011 at $5,819,406.
15. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve a Proclamation (PDF) declaring October 3-9, 2010 as Fire Prevention Week throughout Placer County.
b. Approve minutes (PDF) of August 18, 19 and 24, 2010.
16. CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES (PDF) - Approve the renewal of a Blanket Purchase Order with ABC Legal, Inc., in the amount not to exceed $150,000, from October 1, 2010 through September 30, 2011, to provide Process of Service to Support the Placer County Department of Child Support Services, and authorize the Purchasing Manger to sign the resulting documents.
17. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY (PDF) – Reject the following claims, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 10-076, King, David, $100 Million, (Personal Injury).
18. CLAIMS AGAINST THE COUNTY – Reject the following leave to present a late claim and its underlying claim, as recommended by the offices of County Counsel and Risk Management:
a. 10-078, Garner, Donald, Not Stated, (Personal Injury).
19. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. Municipal Advisory Council (Meadow Vista) (PDF) – Accept the resignation of Michael Sinor Seat 6, effective immediately, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
b. Municipal Advisory Council (North Tahoe Regional) (PDF) – Approve the appointments of Susan Kass to Seat 3 and Regina Straver to Seat 8, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
c. Municipal Advisory Council (Sheridan) (PDF) – Accept the resignation of Michelle Macfarlane Seat 1, effective immediately, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
d. North Tahoe Area Design Review Committee (PDF) – Accept the resignation of Julie Wainscoat Seat 2, effective September 7, 2010, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
e. Placer Sierra Fire Safe Council (PDF) – Approve the appointment of Don Adams to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
f. Squaw Valley Design Review (PDF) – Approve the reappointments of Roger Beck to Seat 1, Judy Carini to Seat 2 and Peter Klaussen to Seat 3, as requested by Supervisor Montgomery.
g. Veterans Memorial Hall Board (Auburn) (PDF) – Approve the appointment of Albert Baldoni (alternate) to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Holmes.
h. Wastewater Advisory Committee (PDF) – Approve the reappointments of Mark Navo to Seat 5, Guy Ostenson to Seat 6, Bill Carpenter, Jr. to Seat 7, Mike Broyer to Seat 9, Marc Lindbloom to Seat 10, Chris White to Seat 11 and Dave Buck to Seat 12, as requested by Health and Human Services, Environmental Health.
20. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. South Placer Adult Correctional Facility, Project #4764 - Authorize the expenditure of no more than $3,900 for three County staff for out-of-state travel to San Antonio, Texas in order to test and accept the security electronics touch screen control system for the South Placer Adult Correctional Facility.
b. Impound Yard Expansion, Project #4788 – Reject all bids for the Impound Yard Expansion Project, located in the Placer County Government Center in north Auburn, pursuant to Section 20150.9 of the Public Contract Code.
21. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES:
a. Adult System of Care (PDF) - Approve a contract employee agreement with Donna Schindler, M.D., as staff psychiatrist from October 16, 2010 through October 15, 2011 with direct compensation of $108,803 for a total compensation package not to exceed $154,362, and authorize the Chairman to sign subsequent amendments up to 10 percent of the original contract amount. Funding of $76,718 in Federal and State funds, and a required County General Fund match of $32,879 is included in the Department’s FY 2010-11 Final Budget. The balance of funding will be budgeted in the FY 2011-12 Base Budget for the remainder of the contract term.
b. Community Health/Clinics (PDF) - Approve a change order to Blanket Purchase Order #BP017216 with Rite Aid Corporation, increasing the maximum amount by $90,000 for a new total of $165,000 from October 1, 2009 through September 30, 2010 due to increased utilization of pharmaceutical services by the County’s mandated Medical Care Services Program, and authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the resulting change order. The funding is 100 percent County General Fund of which $135,000 was included in the Department’s FY 2009-10 Final Budget. The balance of funding is included in the FY 2010-11 Final Budget.
22. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested competitively awarded bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Purchase Orders, Annual Paving Services/Facility Services/Public Works (PDF) - Renew two competitively awarded Blanket Purchase Orders with Teichert Construction, in the maximum aggregate amount of $230,000.
b. Purchase Order #17125, Leasing Vanpool Vehicles for the County’s Vanpool Program/Public Works (PDF) - Approve Change Order No. 1 to Competitively Awarded Blanket Purchase Order #17125 with VPSI, Inc., increasing the maximum amount by $156,200, for a revised maximum amount of $312,400.
c. Bid #10006, One Type IV Fire Apparatus for Sunset West Fire/County Executive/Emergency Services (PDF) - Award Competitive Bid #10006 to KME Fire Apparatus, in the total amount of $216,112.14.
23. PUBLIC WORKS:
a. Abandonment (PDF) - Adopt a Resolution to abandon a portion of a Utility Easement and an Easement for Light and Air, Tahoe City Industrial Park Subdivision, Tahoe City.
b. Local Transportation Fund Claim (PDF) to Tahoe Regional Planning Agency for Tahoe Area Regional Transit, Fiscal Year 2010/2011 – Adopt a Resolution authorizing the Chairman to execute the 2010/2011 Local Transportation Fund (LTF) Claim to Tahoe Regional Planning Agency for Tahoe Area Regional Transit in the amount of $565,858.
c. Notice of Completion (PDF)/Douglas Boulevard at Lakeland/Mooney Drive Intersection Improvement Project, Contract #1068 – Adopt a Resolution accepting the Project as complete and authorizing the Director of Public Works to execute the Notice of Completion.
24. REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $750 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lighthouse Counseling and Family Resource Center 4th Annual Rib Festival to benefit the Resource Center, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($750).
b. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $250 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Oakmont High School 2011 Sober Grad Night to benefit their safe and sober graduation event, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($250).
c. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Rocklin Area Chamber of Commerce 17th Annual Hot Chili & Cool Cars Event to benefit the Matt Redding Memorial Scholarship Foundation, as requested by Supervisor Weygandt ($250) and Supervisor Holmes ($250).
d. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Auburn Chamber of Commerce Leadership Auburn Program to help offset curriculum costs, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($500).
e. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Sacramento Regional Fire Prevention Officers Association to help offset event participation costs, as requested by Supervisor Holmes ($500).
f. Approve appropriation (PDF) of $3,000 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Roseville Fire Fighters Association 18th Annual Benefit Golf Tournament to benefit Placer County’s Outstanding Teacher Program and help provide assistance to the families of fellow firefighters in the event of a tragedy, as requested by Supervisor Rockholm ($3,000).
a. Approve the agreement (PDF) between the Placer County Sheriff Coroner-Marshal (PCSO) and the Department of California Highway Patrol (CHP), and authorize the Sheriff to sign the agreement and all related documents. The agreement is for reimbursement of overtime costs for CHP personnel assigned to the Regional Auto Theft Task Force at an amount not to exceed $35,000 beginning July 1, 2010 and ending June 30, 2011. There is no impact to the General fund as funds will be provided from the task force.
b. Authorize the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal (PDF) to execute two vehicle use agreements with the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) for the purpose of investigating auto theft related crime as part of the Regional Auto Theft Task Force. Operating costs for the vehicles are estimated at $7,000 annually from the Task Force and grant funding sources. There is no impact to the General Fund.
c. Approve the agreement with Praeses, LLC (PDF) for revenue enhancement services for the Inmate Telephone Systems and authorize the Sheriff-Coroner-Marshal to execute the agreement. The initial term of the contract is for three (3) years. The cost of services will be in an amount equal to 10.97% of total amounts from the Inmate Telecommunications Service Provider (ITSP) and 33 1/3% of all historical reconciliations as a result of these services in the estimated amount of $100,000 over the three year period. There is no impact to the County General Fund.
26. TREASURER-TAX COLLECTOR:
a. Approve the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds (PDF), in the estimated amount of $3,300,000 for fiscal year 2010/2011, by the Loomis Union School District, Fund 400 sub-fund 11, as prescribed by the California State Constitution.
b. Approve the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds (PDF), in the estimated amount of $5,000,000 for fiscal year 2010/2011, by the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District, Fund 400 sub-fund 21, as prescribed by the California State Constitution.
c. Approve the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds (PDF), in the estimated amount of $1,000,000 for fiscal year 2010/2011, by the Newcastle Elementary School District, Fund 400 sub-fund 12, as prescribed by the California State Constitution.
d. Approve the temporary borrowing of Treasury funds (PDF), in the estimated amount of $2,000,000 for fiscal year 2010/2011, by the Eureka Union School District, Fund 400 sub-fund 9, as prescribed by the California State Constitution.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
27. Personnel (PDF) - Classified Service Merit Increases
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2010 MEETING SCHEDULE:
October 5, 2010
October 18, 2010 (Tahoe)
October 19, 2010 (Tahoe)
November 2, 2010
November 23, 2010
December 14, 2010