Placer County to expedite building permits for storm-damaged property

Published March 17, 2023

The Placer County Building Services Division will expedite building permits for property that has been damaged in the recent storms by snow, mudslides, fire, floods, tree damage or other catastrophic events.

Building permits are required to repair a roof collapse, wall displacement, damaged overhead electrical service and any damage to electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing systems connected to a wall.

“Building services will expedite the intake, review and approval of construction plans that are intended to repair or rebuild an existing, previously permitted and occupied building that has been damaged in the storms,” said Deputy Director of Building Services Tim Wegner. 

Safety is of the upmost importance. Emergency responders should be notified of an emergency situation, and Building Services will often be called to perform a rapid safety assessment. Placer County recommends property owners hire an engineer to perform a structural evaluation of significant damage.

Permits can be obtained by applying in person at the Community Development Resource Center locations:

Repair and rebuilding permits will be prioritized, and many simple permits can be issued the same day. More complicated permits may take up to three days for issuance.

For further assistance, visit the Building Services Division website or contact the help line at 530-745-3584.