Domestic violence encompasses different behaviors that abusers use to control victims. The following "red flag" abusive behaviors include:
1. Showing extreme jealousy of your friends or time spent away from them.
2. Insulting you in front of other people.
3. Preventing you from making your own decisions.
4. Intimidating you through threatening looks or actions.
5. Destroying your belongings.
6. Taking your money and controlling how it is spent.
7. Taking no responsibility for their actions and blames others often.
8. Criticizes or puts you down.
9. Wants to know where you are at all times.
10. Does not honor your boundaries.
If you or someone that you know needs support in leaving an abusive relationship, contact the below resources.
For local resources, please contact Stand Up Placer - 24-Hour Helpline – 800-575-5352.
For additional help and information, please contact National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.