Insurance Coverage and Reimbursement

California Department of Insurance

The California Department of Insurance has developed a comprehensive Wildfire Resources website to assist fire victims with the insurance claim process. If you have a question about your insurance claim or a dispute with your insurance company, please call 1-800-927-4357 for assistance.

Insurance Coverage for Evacuees

One-Year Moratorium on Non-Renewals

By state law, there is mandatory one-year moratorium on insurance companies canceling or non-renewing residential insurance policies in certain areas within or adjacent to a fire perimeter after a declared state of emergency is issued by the governor. 

Learn more about Mandatory one year moratorium on non-renewals

Bulletin 2022-13: Moratorium Declaration for Fairview and Mosquito Fires

Consumer alert: Wildfire evacuees could be eligible for expenses under their current insurance policy

Additional Living Expense coverage under some homeowner or renter policies may help with evacuation and relocation costs

Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara reminds residents across California who have been ordered to evacuate due to wildfires that they may have homeowner or renter insurance to help with evacuation and relocation costs under Additional Living Expenses coverage, known as ALE. ALE coverage typically includes food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, and extra transportation expenses. 

 “Wildfires are devastating both to homes and people’s lives, even if you don’t suffer property damage. I want evacuees to know additional living expense coverage can be available to help with the stress and financial burden of mandatory evacuations,” said Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara. “Residents who have been evacuated should contact their insurance agent or insurance company to find out what their renters’ or homeowners’ policy covers and other resources that may be available to them while the mandatory evacuation orders are in place.”

Commissioner Lara sponsored a new law that requires insurance companies to pay at least two weeks of ALE benefits to evacuees, among other new consumer protections. Many homeowners are unaware that they may have coverage under their homeowners’ and renters’ insurance policies to help them with evacuation and recovery expenses. It is critical to keep all receipts and document the date, time and names of any insurance company employees you speak to regarding your coverage and details of the conversation.

MicrosoftTeams-image (45) Opens in new windowSurvivor to Survivor Forum for Wildfire Survivors

Connect with trained United Policy volunteers who navigated recovery after previous wildfires, and others on the road to recovery.

Register for the webinar!