Emergency Rental Assistance
Placer County is now offering Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) funded by the U.S Treasury for the purpose of assisting tenant households that meet program criteria and are unable to pay for rent and utilities due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- ERA is an emergency assistance program through Placer County that provides assistance with rental arrears, current rental subsidies and past due and current utilities to low-income households that were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and meet the program criteria.
- There is no requirement to have rental arrears in order to receive assistance.
- Rental assistance can only be used in the county of Placer.
- Eligible households may receive up to 12 months of assistance.
- After rental arrears are reduced, rental assistance is provided in three-month increments. Households may reapply at the end of the three-month period if further assistance is needed, not to exceed the program limit.
- To be referred for ERA assistance, the household must first contact Placer County’s 211 system to be screened for program eligibility.
- If the landlord or utility provider refuses to work with the program, assistance can be provided to the household.
To be eligible for the ERA program, the household must meet the following criteria:
- The household must be income eligible for the program, which is at or below 80% of the area median income limit.
- The household must currently be renting or leasing a unit pursuant to a written or verbal rental agreement.
- The household must qualify for unemployment or have experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to COVID-19.
- The household must demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
- Preference will be given to households that are either:
- Unemployed and have not been employed in the 90 days prior to the application, OR
- Households that are at or below 50% of the area median income limit.
- Household income is determined as either the household’s total income for calendar year 2020 or the household’s monthly income at the time of application.
|Current Income Limits for Placer County|
*New effective 4/1/2021
Households that feel they meet the program criteria and want to be reviewed for the ERA program will need to contact the Placer County 211 system by dialing 2-1-1 or 1-833-DIAL211. The 211 operators will go through a screening sheet to determine if the household is potentially eligible. All households that pass the screening will be given a referral. Eligible applicants will be sent the ERA application to apply.