Short-Term Vacation Rental Program
New Short-Term Rental Ordinance
On January 25, 2022, the Placer County Board of Supervisors introduced an ordinance to repeal and replace the existing short-term rental ordinance, Chapter 9, Article 9.42 of the Placer County Code. The ordinance was adopted on February 8, 2022 and will take effect March 11, 2022.
Short-term rentals are residential units rented for 30 days or less, typically advertised as vacation rentals. The ordinance is intended to preserve residential neighborhood character and address community concerns regarding nuisances caused by STR operations. It includes updates to noise, trash, parking, and occupancy, increased penalties and fines, and additional requirements to ensure each STR is operating in compliance with building and fire codes. The ordinance also contains new cap provisions limiting the quantity of STR operations in East Placer.
Please note: Applying for a STR permit does not guarantee issuance of a STR permit. All STR permit applications will be processed according to the priority established in Section 9.42.040 (C) of the STR Ordinance. Priority is given in the following order:
- STR permit renewals (application due within 90 days from March 31)
- Previously approved exemptions (application due within
- New STR permit applications, which can be submitted at any time but will be processed in the order received, following issuance of permits for priority groups 1 and 2.
It is your responsibility to provide accurate and up-to-date contact information for your STR permit. A helpful way to ensure you do not miss a communication from us is to add the county email domain (@placer.ca.gov) to the safe sender list in your inbox.
If you need to update the email address on file please email email@example.com and include your STR permit number in the subject line.
It is the owner's responsibility to ensure the short-term rental unit and all guests comply with the ordinance and that all Fines may be cited towards the owner and guests for noncompliance.
The online registration platform is available for electronic submittals. County staff may not be able to immediately respond to your questions. Please review the Frequently Asked Questions and STR Fact Sheet to address your questions. If you have further questions, please leave a message at the STR phone number 530-581-6234 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and staff will respond within three business days.
STR Permit Fees
STR permit application fee: $306 collected at permit application (same fee for professionally and privately managed properties)
Fire-life safety inspection fees will be due in full for new permits for 2022 or adjusted annually for permit renewals.
■$475.88 for professionally managed STRs – paid every three years
■$475.88 for privately managed STRs – paid every year
*Staff will contact STR permit holders to schedule fee payments and inspections*
Please make complaints via your preferred option:
1. Contact our 24/7 hotline at 530-448-8003 to report a violation. Be sure to include your name, phone number, address of the property you are reporting and a description of the violation occurring.
2. Submit complaints and documentation via email to email@example.com. Be sure to include your name, phone number, address of the property you are reporting and a description of the violation occurring.
3. Submit via Placer County Connect :
- Scroll to the middle of the page.
- Click on “Code Compliance” -> “STR Complaint”
*NOTE: All complaints are kept confidential. If you choose to submit an anonymous complaint it will not be addressed by Placer County staff.
* Please note that through Summer 2022, staff are processing the 2022 permit cycle and may not be able to immediately respond. Staff will respond within three business days. Thank you for your patience. *
Monday through Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.