Housing Related Code Amendments
On Thursday, October 7, 2021, the Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on the proposed Housing Related Code Amendments. This item will be heard at 10:30am (Agenda Item 2). The Planning Commission will review the proposed amendments and make recommendations for the Board of Supervisors to consider at a subsequent hearing. The Board hearing is anticipated to be held in November (date to be determined). (Note: These public hearing dates are subject to change.)
The agendas for the Planning Commission and Board meetings are posted at least 72 hours before the meeting date.
The County’s purpose in proposing the General Plan, Zoning Ordinance and Community Design Guidelines Manual update is to provide a better framework for future housing development in the County that takes into account population growth, economic factors, demographics, and community needs and wants. This proposed project represents a component of a larger effort to implement elements of the Placer County Housing Strategy and Development Plan. The primary objectives of the Housing Related Code Amendments:
- Increase the availability of a mix of housing types in the County for existing and future residents, students, and employees whose income cannot support the cost of housing in the County;
- Improve the County’s overall employment growth by assisting County employers in reducing critical shortages of skilled workers in part driven by a lack of available housing;
- Reduce Vehicle Miles Travelled (VMT) per capita by shortening commute distances for those who commute within Placer County for education or work, or other metric for VMT as determined appropriate by the County under SB 743 legislation, and
- Bring County housing policies, ordinances, standards, and guidelines into conformance with recent changes in State law.
This proposed project is intended to implement the following objectives in addition to those of the Placer County Housing Strategy and Development Plan:
- Implement adopted General Plan policies that support efficient, resilient and sustainable housing development patterns that can be achieved through higher density, mixed use, transit oriented and infill development projects; and
- Align Placer County General Plan and Zoning Ordinance housing related land uses, development standards and implementation methods with recently adopted specific plans, community plans, and area plans.
- Implement County adopted Strategic Plan (November 20, 2018) which supports new housing construction that provides a mix of housing types for people of all income ranges through for existing and future residents.
To view the Placer County Proposed Housing Related Code Amendments in track changes, click here.53676
To view the proposed Multifamily and Mixed Use Design Manual, click here.53746
To view the list of proposed properties being rezoned, click here.53674
See below for a complete copy of the Environmental Impact Report.
Notice of Preparation of an EIR - Released 08-29-19
- Notice of Preparation (Posted 8-28-19) (PDF)
- Draft General Plan Amendments (Updated 9-11-19)
- Housing Code Amendment Fact Sheet (Updated 9-11-19)
- Current Zoning Ordinance in Track Changes (Updated 9/16/19) (PDF)
- Draft Design Manual Development Standards and Design Guidelines for Multi-family and Mixed Use Development