If you are opening a new restaurant, food facility, mobile food facility, public pool/spa, tattoo or body art shop you will need to submit a plan check application (PDF-fillable form). Remodels of existing facilities must be submitted for review by our Specialists as well.
If you are planning on taking over an existing space, please contact us for details on the facility prior to making any financial investment. You may be required to upgrade or fix certain elements of the facility in order to bring it up to code.
To use forms marked as "PDF-fillable form," open the form you need by clicking on one of the below links, click on the download icon in the upper right, rename the form, and save it locally (i.e. to your desktop). Close your website browser, and then open the PDF you just saved in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Now you can type in the fields and sign electronically. Be sure to save your changes, and then attach your completed form in an email to us.
Initiating the Process
To initiate the process submit the following:
- Plan Check Application Form (PDF-fillable form)
- One Set of plans - Drawn to 1/4 inches scale
- Manufacturer cut sheets of proposed and existing equipment indicating National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) approval for commercial use. This includes, but is not limited to, refrigeration, cooking/warming unit, water heaters, and acoustical ceiling tile.
- Fee Disclosure Form - States that you understand more fees may be assessed if you change the scope of the project
- Fee (PDF) Plans will not be accepted at the counter without fees. Accepted payment methods include check or money order by mail, or check, money order, credit card, or cash at the front counter.
For more information on plan submittal, please refer to the document "Starting a Food Business in Placer County" in Food Plan Check Resources in the following section.
About the Process
The Specialist assigned to your Plan Check will review the plans and send comments to the Contact Person listed on the application. Information that is incomplete, inaccurate or illegible may hamper the project review and approval process.
We advise you to call to track your project and see if all of the required items are accounted for. Missing items will also slow the Plan Check process. You may contact your assigned Specialist via phone or email at any time during the Plan Check process with questions or comments.
- Food Plan Check Resources
- Public Pool / Spa Plan Check Resources
- Tattoo & Body Art Plan Check Resources
- Bear Resistant Garbage Can Enclosures
Bear resistant garbage can enclosures are required on new residential construction or additions of more than 500 square feet of living space, for portions of Placer County above 5,000 feet elevation.
For more information on Bear Resistant Garbage Can Enclosures please contact the Placer County Building Department.