Plan Check Process
The Plan Check team performs civil site improvement plan review of private development projects, which generally consist of major and minor land subdivisions, commercial and industrial projects, and major utility encroachments (PDF). Plan review includes most components of civil infrastructure, such as grading and drainage, roads and bridges, sewer and utility systems, and erosion control and Best Management Practices. Review is conducted to ensure conformance with conditions of:
- Development's discretionary permit and environmental review
- General engineering practices
- Placer County General Specifications
- Placer County Design Plates
- Placer County Land Development Manual
- Placer County Stormwater Management Manual (see Placer County Public Works web page)
- State and Federal construction standards/requirements
Low Impact Development
Beginning June 21, 2016, certain development projects shall be required to incorporate low impact development (LID) strategies into the design in accordance with the West Placer Storm Water Quality Design Manual. Refer to the Manual for more information and to determine if your project shall be subject to the requirements of the Manual. You can also use this interactive map to determine if your project is subject to the Manual.
Plan Check Documents
- Both the General Specifications (PDF) and the Engineering Design Plates are available as hard copies at a nominal cost through the Engineering and Surveying Division.
- View the current Plan Check and Inspection Fee Spreadsheet (XLS) and the Plan Check and Inspection Fee Schedule (PDF).
- The Submittal Checklist (PDF) is used for pre-audits of civil improvement plans to ensure a complete submittal.
- The First Submittal Detailed Checklist (PDF) is used by staff when completing their first review of the improvement plans.
- A pre-submittal audit to begin the Plan Check process can be arranged by calling Rich Kai at the Engineering and Surveying Division, 530-745-7548, or the Engineering main phone at 530-745-7523.