To reduce the impacts of climate change, California Global Warming Solution Act (AB 32) requires the Air Resources Board (ARB) to develop a scoping plan which includes comprehensive programs, feasible regulations, and market mechanisms to achieve real, quantifiable, cost-effective reduction of greenhouse gases (GHG) in California. The District, as a member of the California Air Pollution Control Officers Association (CAPCOA), is working closely with the ARB to use the following programs and processes to implement the statewide programs and regulations that will be promulgated in the future.
- AB32 ARB Early Action Measures - Provide technical assistance to ensure that emissions reductions proposed by the Scoping Plan are real, permanent and quantifiable, and that data collection and reporting is enforceable.
- Biomass Initiatives - To address the excess biomass and resulting increased risk of catastrophic wildfire from unnatural excess accumulation of woody biomass due to decades of fire suppression activities.
- Greenhouse Verification Program - Verify GHG emission mandatory reporting documents.
- Assist compliance with the Greenhouse Gas Reporting and Offset verification
District Goal Achievement
- Goal 1: Achieve and maintain air quality standards for public health and environmental protection
- Goal 2: Promote climate action/energy conservation strategies
- Goal 4: Promote Sustainable Growth