In light of the current COVID-19 restrictions, we will be discontinuing our passport photo service until further notice.

The Placer County Clerk-Recorder's office is a passport acceptance agency. Our office will accept and verify all the information needed, collect the necessary fees, pictures and forms, and forward them to the Passport Agency. Your passport will be mailed directly to you from the Passport Agency.

Please note—Processing times with the U.S. Department of State Passport Services are as follows:

  • Routine Service: 10 to 12 weeks.
  • Expedited Service: 4 to 6 weeks.

You may check the status of your application at

Placer County Passport Appointments

Passport Processing hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. An appointment is required for processing passport applications. A separate appointment is required for processing each individual passport application.

Passport Renewal

Passport renewals must be submitted by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport meets all five of the following requirements:

  • Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person.

Schedule a Passport Appointment

  1. General
  2. Application
  3. Fees
  4. More Information

Definition of a Passport

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document attesting to the identity and nationality of the bearer. A passport indicates that its bearer is entitled to receive the protection and assistance of the diplomatic and consular officer of their country while abroad. In essence, it is a request on the part of the issuing government that officials of foreign governments permit the bearer to travel or sojourn (take temporary residence) in their territories and afford them all lawful aid and protection.

Passport Book vs Passport Card

Customers now have the option to apply for a passport book, a passport card or both.

Passport Card

The U.S. Department of State is now issuing a passport card (in addition to the passport book) which is a less expensive, smaller, and a more convenient alternative for travel by land and sea, between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean only. Please note, this card is not valid for travel by air. The passport card is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.

Passport Book

Valid for all travel by air, sea or land. The passport book is Real ID compliant and can be used for domestic air travel.

Please Note

Customers will now have the option to apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both on the DS-11.

Who Can Get a U.S. Passport

  • A U.S. passport may be issued to a citizen or national of the United States.
  • A person who is not a U.S. citizen or national should apply for documentation to a representative of the country in which that person is a citizen and should contact the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service for requirements to re-enter the United States.
  • Unless specifically authorized by a passport issuing office, no person may have more than one valid, or potentially valid, U.S. passport of the same type at any one time.
  • All U.S. citizens desiring a passport must obtain individual passports in their own names (including children).

For more information on U.S. passports please visit