Register Property for TOT Certificate

You must register and collect Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) within 30 days of:

  • Starting your short-term rental business
  • Advertising your rental on a short-term rental platform such as Airbnb or VRBO
  • Making a unit available for rent

Click here to register for a Transient Occupancy Tax certificate: 

Revenue Services will mail a certificate to you after your application is received and processed. The certificate will be accompanied by information on your TOT tax rate and how and when to report and remit. 

You must post the certificate in a visible location in the rental unit at all times. 

If you own and rent more than one property in Placer County, you must submit a separate application form for each rental property.