Alternatives to Burning

Residential Chipping Programs

This curb-side chipping program is supported in part by federal/state grants secured through a partnership of the Placer County Resource Conservation District, Placer County, Placer County Sheriff's Department, Placer County Air Pollution Control District and CAL FIRE. These grants are used to help offset and/or reduce the homeowner's full cost of utilizing the chipper service. Cost-share rates are subject to change based on the availability of grant funding and will be set annually.


Composting is easy and can be done at home. Contact the U.C. Davis Master Gardeners' Rotline  at 530-889-7399 for information on how to compost.

  • Countywide Information

Solid Waste (garbage) and Recycling can be found under Placer County's Solid Waste and Recycling webpage.

Recycling Buy-Back Centers  or call 800-RECYCLE (800-732-9253)

  • Western Placer County

Landfill Facility - between Roseville and Lincoln - Western Placer Waste Management Authority (WPWMA) 

Transfer Stations - Auburn, Meadow Vista and Foresthill - Recology-Auburn Placer Call (530) 885-3735.

The Material Recovery Facility is located at Hwy 89 & Cabin Creek Rd. Truckee, CA 96161. Call 530-583-0148

These facilities help Placer County meet the State’s 50% waste reduction goal. These recycling facilities are used to sort trash and recover recyclable materials, such as steel, aluminum, plastic, glass, cardboard, newspaper, junk mail, office paper, paperboard, magazines, brush and wood.